Wednesday, April 29, 2009

First trip to Camp Perry with my Garand

One week after I shot my first highpower match(shot a 325, can't remember the "x" count) I was "told" I would be going to Camp Perry to shoot an ORPA (Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association) highpower match. I thought they were crazy. Little did I know at the time, it would be the best "baptism by fire" I ever had. It's a3 hr trip to Perry from my house, so the ride was short and sweet. We arrived in the early evening, Friday to be exact, and quickly got signed up. The next part of the evening I remember well. It was our trip to the "hutments", or "hooches" as they are called. The 14' x 14' former WW2 prisoner of war barracks would be our home for the weekend. One light buld and a few outlets. That's it.

After a rough night in the sack, I was awakened to the sound of OHNG troops performing their early morning drills. I guess it was time to go.

We made it to the range, and all was well (not the scores) with me until I got to the 200yd sitting rapid string. On my 3 rd or 4th shot, the old Garand ($450.00 for a match grade garand in 1985) failed to fire. I raised my hand as instructed, and was told I would shoot on the "alibi" string. As wonderfull as the Garands are, they tended to produce more alibis than the AR's of this era. I was positioned on the alibi relay, the command went firth to fire, and my rifle went "click". It was over on the 200 yd line for me, so I retreated to the 300 yd line for the prone rapid fire. As I marched back to my firing point, one of the nearby shooters asked what had happened. I explained the situation and he quickly said it sounded like a broken firing pin, and would I let him repair it! What the #$&&* I thought. Fix it right here! Heck yes I said. within 60 seconds the bolt had been stripped and my Garand was sporting a new firing pin. I mentioned to the gentleman that I had no money with me on the range so I coud not pay him until later. He said "no problem". He provided me with his mailing address and said I could send him $5.00 when it was convenient. What a guy. What a sport!

No comments: