Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My first M1 Garand experience.

A lifelong friend s calls me one day and says, hey, my older brother has been doing this thing called "highpower rifle" and would like to know if we might be interested in ch3ecking it out. Seemed like a good way to kill a summer afternoon, so I made plans to meet them at a local private range. Mind you, I had never, and I mean NEVER, handle or fired a highpower rifle.

I arrive at the range and quickly find us setting up an 18" round bullseye target at 300 yds. 300yds I thought? There is certainly no way we will be shooting at that little target from this distance, let alone with an old WW2 rifle that has only iron sights! This would be rather foolish, and a severe waste of ammunition.

As it turns out, we were indeed planning on perforating that peice of paper from 300yds away. I took up my prone position, the rifle was loaded, I aligned the sights as told and squezed th trigger. After afew rounds we ventured downrange, and to my surprise, the black portion of the paper had holes in it. 30 caliber holes. 30 caliber holes that were not there 15 minutes before. Well, needless to say I was amazed. My first thought was that I had not noticed them when we were there earlier, but I began to realize what I had done. That was the first day of th rest of my shooting carreer. From that day on I never needed to worry about what I would do with all of my spare money. It had been determined on this day that all fo my money would be donated to competition shooting equipment supplier and gun dealers. What a day!

No comments: