Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Maintaing the M1 Garand

Shooting the Garand was fun, but little did I know how much effort would be required to keep this match grade Garand running smoothly. With the match grade Garands having bedded actions, care was essential. You didn't want to let any solvent creep into the bedding/receiver interface, so much care was need to keep your cleaning brush spray out of the action. My armorer buddy was able to keep the bedding tight and well maintained, which was a bessing. For most Garand shooters, knowing someone who could perform these tasks was not an option. Sending the rifle away for god knows how long was a must. I had the equipment thing figured out. I was on my way. Little did I now where all this would lead me. The path to shooting enlightenment was just over the horizon, and was geting nearer with every shot.

No comments: