Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My first match shooting an M1 Garand

Exactly 6 days after shooting a highpower rifle (a match grade M1 Garand), I was shooting in my first NRA sanctioned highpower match. It was a "National Match Course", consisting of 10 shots standing slow fire, 10 shots sitting rapid fire, 10 shots prone rapid fire and 20 shots prone slow fire (shot from 200yds, 200yds, 300yds and 300 yds(reduced target to simulate 600 yd fire)). All went well, although the jitters were with me all day. You would think that a guy who played college hoops wouldn't be so nervous! Well I was.

We got back to prone slow fire, and while loading a round I had a "slam fire". The round fired as I released the bolt ( something Garand owners need to practice). Thank god the bolt was partially into battery postiion, or I may have eaten the bolt of that Garand. I was un-nerved to say the least. I did finish the match, but was really shaken up. Some of the more experienced shooters looked at my ammo, and found some problems. My mentor stopped my my house later that week, took a look at the hodge podge of dies, bullets, shell holders, etc., that had been loaned to me by one of the shooters, and said thsi crap has to go! Got some new gear, and all hes been well since. Don't cut corners on your shooting equipment, especially loading gear for your Garand.

No comments: