Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Match Grade M1A

Although I loved the Garand, the M1A seemed to be the rifle of choice for the best shooters in the business (back when I was getting started), and I wanted to be one of those! My armorer buddy had built a rifle for an FBI agent at Quantico, but he was unable to take delivery of the rifle. Well, it became mine. There was a whole new learning curve with the M1A. Less recoil, different to maintain, and a 20 round detachable mag. Needless to say, although it was a more accuarte rifle than my Garand, this Springfiled M1A would take some getting used to.

The shorter sight radius was the first thing that I noticed, although nothing like the trransition from the M1A to the AR! Now that's something to contemplate.

The reduced recoil was great. The rapid scores improved right away, but on the long line I really had to get my head into it.

Loading was nicer, at least a little less expensive. The savings on powder wasn't great, but it added up.

The short oprod of the M1A made quite a differenc also. No long oprod like the Garand, just a short, stout, stiff rod with very little flex.

As long as I could keep the cleaning solvent out of the bedding, this double lugged M1A would shoot like a champ. It's still ued by a freind of mine for NRA long range(800, 900 & 1,000 yds) competition.

No comments: